Sunday, January 15, 2012

Be. Mindful

Be. MINDFUL


The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart…. Helen Keller

This quotation is on a plaque in my home and today one of my yoga students brought it into class to share this sentiment with us all. As she read it, every hair on my body stood up because I KNEW that I was being told to BE mindful. To pay attention, it was no coincidence that she brought it in today. It is no coincidence that just yesterday I was speaking with my husband reflecting on what it is to be a student of a challenging lesson and wondering what it must have been like to BE Helen Keller, then my husband said, "better yet, imagine what it must have been like to be her teacher".

As this quotation was shared in class, just prior to the reading a student who is a school teacher was speaking of the challenges teachers face in delivering quality education, speaking of the no child left behind act and the “dumbing-down” process of our current education model. As Helen’s words spoken so long ago were again echoed in my yoga class today, I shared mine and my husbands conversation with my students and was given the message…

Be mindful of our perceptions, what of the children that people think are unable to be taught? What of the challenges that we face that we think we can not be overcome? What of all of our perceptions and expectations of limitation, of what can not happen and why vs. being mindful of the potential that lies within for unlimited outcomes, unlimited possibilities, unlimited ways to BE.

What if Anne would have given up on Helen? What if she would have just looked at this woman who appeared to have what many would label as “limitations” and decided that yes, she IS limited, I can do nothing for her? How many times do you, me, we stop something before it blossoms into being? How many times do we miss the message, the coincidence that is no coincidence, how many times do we miss the true opportunity for the unexpected to surprise us and teach us a thing or two along the way?

Today is your opportunity to be MINDFUL of what can BE… Here is to you... How can you change the world today?

With Gratitude & Appreciation,
Melissa Grill-Petersen, DC

No comments:

Post a Comment